11.02.2013

Weekly Favorites

Happy Saturday. 

In Texas, or at least our small corner of Texas, it might be the perfect fall day. The pumpkin on our front porch finally feels appropriate, as did the scarf I wore today. 

Validly wearing a scarf is a very sweet feeling. Not being able to wear my boots because I no longer fit into my skinny jeans is not. 

But do you know what's more important than that? 

Pretty much everything. 

Here's a list of my favorites from this week: 

In books/writings: 

>> The Story of Christian Theology. I have been reading it for eternity awhile, but the fact that I haven't given up on it yet should testify to how good it is. If you like church history or philosophy or are a Christian and enjoy understanding why you believe what you believe, I highly recommend it. 

>> Loving Your Kids on Purpose. I was dreading the day Z hit the age where my husband and I would have to figure out how we were going to approach discipline. It has arrived. Quickly and in full force. We had our first time out today, in fact, by 8:15 in the morning. I've really appreciated (from what I've read so far) this book's perspective on the subject. 

>> [[This interview]] Make sure you read through the whole thing, and click the link to get to the second part of the interview. There's a reason he's one of my all time favorite authors. 

>> [[What if G.K. Chesterton edited your writing?]] A little nerd-humor for your Saturday. 

Online: 




In Pregnancy: 

>> Chick-fil-a. It is very near to my heart right now. I am talking myself down from waffle fries and sweet tea at least once a day. 

>> Cooked vegetables. Very similar to when I was pregnant with Z, pretty much any vegetable sauteed in olive oil/butter and sprinkled with salt sounds like a dream. I understand this is not as ideal as eating them raw, but (again, also similar to Z's pregnancy) raw vegetables make my stomach and heart sad right now. 

>> Milk. Especially with chocolate chip cookies. 

>> Working Out. "Favorite" might be too strong a word, but I'm enjoying it, at least. Specifically, weight-lifting. Yes, you read that correctly. My husband and I lift weights about three times a week. Having been through labor once, I now understand the importance of building up the endurance of a Titan, particularly in squats and leg presses.  

In my relationship with Jesus: 

>> The Gospel of John. 

All the time I need to be reminded of Jesus. All the time. 

I used to be under the impression that Jesus was an addendum to my life, that I was thankful for but didn't, necessarily, think about all that much - like a safety net or something that existed to catch me during the really hard bits of life - meanwhile I go on living in a way that is largely independent of Him. 

However, I understand - a little bit more, at least - that signing up for Christianity kind of ruins your chances of living any kind of independent life; because, once you surrender your life to Christ, He's the only shot at really living that you've got. 

Which is nice, because as it turns out surrendering your life to anything else kind of leads to not really living. 

Anyway, John. John brings Jesus to the forefront of my heart and mind. When I read John I feel the presence of Jesus as close as my own skin. 

***

That's it for this week. Anything you've been particularly fond of lately? 

Enjoy the rest of your weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment